One of CREFC’s newest initiatives in 2014 is to provide quality and innovative educational content, programming and collaboration to the commercial real estate finance industry. Supported largely by the CREFC Education Committee, our mission is to create a diverse and vibrant educational platform largely targeted to industry young professionals. We understand the need for professional development and educational materials in the CRE finance space and have created a strategic plan that outlines the future initiatives of CREFC’s Education Committee.
Our Core Purpose
To provide quality and innovative educational content, programming and collaboration to the commercial real estate finance industry.
- To further the organization’s educational offerings and materials related to commercial real estate finance, both balance sheet and securitized, through a variety of formats.
- To create and expand the sharing of knowledge and expertise between seasoned CRE finance professionals and younger finance professionals.
- To ensure CREFC is the recognized leader for all educational initiatives in the commercial real estate finance industry.
Our Goals & Initiatives
1. Goal: The Education Committee will expand the CREFC E-Primer series to include all types of CRE finance lending platforms, products and servicing while keeping the existing content refreshed on a periodic basis.
- Create a strong and dedicated sub-committee composed of leaders strictly devoted to expanding the future content of the E-Primer.
- Convert the existing E-Primer into a webinar series and make readily available for purchase.
- Devise a relevant and sustainable marketing strategy.
- Research and implement a tiered pricing structure.
- Create an industry recognized certification program for CRE finance proficiency.
2. Goal: The Education Committee will update and repurpose the CMBS 101, 201 and 301 class series with the latest industry information.
- Create a strong and dedicated sub-committee composed of leaders strictly devoted to the future of the CMBS 101, 201, 301 series.
- Update the existing CMBS series and generate new content as needed.
- Solicit and coordinate instructors and set up classes with interested hosts/sponsors.
- Record each series and develop into an online classroom; expanding the existing content within the online platform.
3. Goal: The Education Committee will provide CREFC member firms and the greater CRE finance industry with effective mentoring for the purpose of addressing career planning and professional continuing education objectives.
- Create a strong and dedicated sub-committee composed of leaders strictly devoted to promoting avenues of communication between and among the CRE finance industry young professional community.
- Further the development of young professionals by providing mentor/mentee programs to leverage the industry knowledge of prominent commercial real estate finance leaders.
- Provide young professionals the tools and resources they need to fulfill their individual continuing education requirements.
- Be the primary meeting point for all commercial real estate finance young professionals and improve upon the current CREFC networking opportunities.
4. Goal: The Education Committee will identify areas of demand for a CREFC education program framework by assessing member’s current educational needs, existing industry education programming and areas for development consideration.
- Create a strong and dedicated sub-committee composed of leaders strictly devoted to developing a needs assessment survey for CREFC members to gauge demand and value for future educational content/programming.
- Develop focus groups and in-person interviews to validate survey findings.
- Identify the need and value of a CREFC certificate/certification program.
- Conduct inventory of existing educational programming within the CRE lending industry and universities and identify potential educational partnership within those universities.
These goals and initiatives will pave the way for the development of all future CREFC educational materials and programming and help CREFC become the premier leader in education for the CRE finance industry. If you have questions or feedback on CREFC’s educational programs, are interested in hosting a program or are a young professional looking to become more involved in CREFC, please contact Sara Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org.